Friday, January 31, 2014

I  few shots of Meg's outfits this week.

              
                                                               Before getting a haircut
                                           
                        After getting a haircut!  I did a very poor job of cutting Meg's hair myself.  I am
                                            so glad I found a great gal who could polish it up!

 
There is such a neat story behind this ammo box.  I saw it at the thrift store the other day for $7.00 and I thought Owen would like it but I didn't buy it.  I am trying to teach the kids they have to use their allowance when they see something they want.  After talking with Owen about it he said, "Mom, please go back to the thrift store when it opens and buy me that box."  He only had $2.00 in his wallet but a package arrived from Pappy with $5.00 in it and now he had the money and he really wanted that box! I mean really wanted that box!  So I cut my run short in order to be at the thrift shop by 9:00 when it opened with Owen's money in hand in order to buy that box. 
Well, I walked in and went right to the shelf and it was gone!  I felt so bad.....I should have just bought it when I saw it!  I was so disappointed and I dreaded telling him after school that I didn't get the box.  Well, as I was walking around I saw an older man and guess what he had in his hand to buy.... the ammo box. AAAHHHH! I thought to myself.  It stinks that he got it just seconds before I was there!  Anyway, I was so disappointed I said a little prayer and was getting ready to go when I caught the man's eye.  I don't know what came over me but I said, "You beat me to it!  I was here to buy that ammo box for my son."  And the man was so sweet and said, "You take it I have lots of them and it's a really good price!"  I couldn't believe it!  I was so excited!  So that is the story of the ammo box and it is even more special now!

Now Owen can tote around all his soldiers wherever he goes!  I also got a really big hug out of it from Owen.  He was super surprised that I had enough nerve to talk to the guy carrying it around.  I got a "Well done! Mom!" 


 
More shots that Owen took


 
We have been a little slack on reading as a family.  Mostly because Owen has to read on his own.  But we did manage to finish Little House.  I tell you what it took them about 3 pages to make cheese and were all so worn out by the whole process that we clapped when it was all said and done.  Some days I crawl in bed so tired but I really think Caroline and Charles know the true meaning of hard work and being tired!
 
Owen finished this book, he is doing great reading almost a chapter book a week!
 
He has really been wanting to read War Horse.  I was super excited I found it at the Good Will today along with this other book that I thought was perfect for my 9 year old boy.  He doesn't mind reading as long as it is something WWI or WWII related.
 
 
and lastly here is the chair I recovered.  It is far from perfect but I think she looks better than she did and I used a painter's drop cloth for the fabric.  I wanted a linen look and the drop cloth for $10 bucks did the trick. 
 
and that's a wrap!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment