Friday, November 18, 2011

When you disobey you're in charge of the drippy yogurt cup


Yesterday, we were going on our routine Aldi visit to get yogurt. Owen decided it would be such fun to stack all the yogurt cups up in the cart and make a tall tower. Quick to see this disaster just waiting to happen I quietly whispered in his ear, "I don't think stacking the yogurt is a good idea because if one bust open that would be very messy." Owen, quickly said, “okay mom I am just going to stack one more, I'm almost done.” My heart skipped a beat at this beautiful display of disobedience. To avoid stares from the German customers I decided this would not be the best place to have what we call in our house, "A COME TO JESUS MOMENT!" So I tried to contain myself until we got to the car. As we are putting our items on the conveyer belt I see yogurt dripping to the floor and a very messy, busted yogurt cup. The German Aldi lady offers to get us another one, thinking we picked out one that perhaps was already open. But, I quickly communicated to her using mostly hand gestures that there would be no need for another one and that Owen would be in charge of the messy yogurt cup. And so as I was huffing to the car, I thought to myself I still have many errands to run and I will not be deterred by this act of disobedience. I instructed Owen that he would be in charge of the messy cup at all times, not to put it down until we got home. Stop after stop he walked with his drippy cup. I pressed on, and finally after arriving home Owen slowly marched his way up our 5 flights of stairs and proceeded to eat the final bit of that yogurt. This was a good learning lesson for all of us. When we choose to disobey we have to deal with the sticky mess it often leaves us in!

No comments:

Post a Comment